Monday, 7 May 2018

Weeks 21- 24 Research Question



Weeks 21- 24 - Planning a Research Inquiry

I am soooo behind in my research study folks. Lots of naval gazing and mulling over the questions to ask and whether they are going to be relevant to the Big Space that is our MLE or more worryingly ( is that even a word?) that there isn't too much literature regarding the actual use of MLEs in Primary School as they are relatively new in NZ and many - such as ours - are a work in progress. We have had new staff ( including yours truly) and no sooner are the children settled into the routine - or not as my research will no doubt testify - than it is time to move on to another cohort at the end of an all too short year.


So - the first question was BLENDED LEARNING



Your Inquiry Topics
Break-down Template
Your  break-down inquiry question
blended learning - how effective is it in a shared learning environment?

Is this form of teaching delivery best suited to girls at Primary age?

Do students of this age group really understand the complexities of working in this independent / non- directed way?

If I/we …(describe the plan action),
Does blended learning encourage independent and undirected study habits?
To what extent/ how will it affect…..(the reaction you plan to measure/evaluate)
Does the use of blended learning favour girls?

in…. (in which group of people).
In a modern learning learning environment of  students Primary school students?

Turning a break-down inquiry question to an initial teacher inquiry question
Your  break-down inquiry question
Initial teacher inquiry question template
Your teacher inquiry question
The use of blended learning
How ….(described the plan action)
How does blended learning encourage independent study habits?
Does it favour the efforts made by girls
affect …..(the reaction you plan to measure/evaluate)
In girls rather than boys
Year 5&6 - mixed ability - shared learning space
in...(in which group of people)
In a mixed ability modern learning environment  of Primary School students

Turning the initial teacher inquiry question into an initial literature review question


Your initial Teacher Inquiry question
Your initial literature review question
How does the use of blended learning encourage independent study habits in girls more than boys in a modern learning environment of Year 5&6 students?
How does the use of blended learning impact on the self regulation study habits in a modern learning environment of Year 5 & 6 primary school students?



Then I tried to look for related research. So.... fast or slow forward a week or so and I thought of another question which might widen the scope ENGAGEMENT OF BOYS



Turning your inquiry topic(s) into an break-down inquiry question
Your Inquiry Topics
Break-down Template
Your  break-down inquiry question
Modern Learning Environment
Engagement of boys
Primary School

If I/we …(describe the plan action),
If we apply the expectations of a MLE and independent learning environment
To what extent/ how will it affect…..(the reaction you plan to measure/evaluate)
To what extent will this impact upon the engagement of boys
in…. (in which group of people).
In a Primary School

Turning a break-down inquiry question to an initial teacher inquiry question
Your  break-down inquiry question
Initial teacher inquiry question template
Your teacher inquiry question
The application of MLE learning expectations
How ….(described the plan action)
How do the expectations of a MLE
Engagement of boys
affect …..(the reaction you plan to measure/evaluate)
Affect the engagement of boys
Primary School
in...(in which group of people)
In Primary School Pupils


Turning the initial teacher inquiry question into an initial literature review question

Your initial Teacher Inquiry question
Your initial literature review question
How do the expectations of a Modern Learning Environment  affect the engagement of boys in Primary school aged pupils?
Do the expectations of a Modern Learning Environment impact upon the engagement of boys in Primary School?

I personally think the MLE favours girls as they are more resourceful and 'just get on with it' but the boys seem to want to remain off task and watch music videos on YouTube.

There has been plenty of negative reporting in the general press and criticism aimed at the NZ Education Council for encouraging the use of MLEs in schools over the saving of $$ by building schools without walls and using children as guinea pigs 


https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11999619



http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/education/101994384/my-child-is-not-a-guinea-pig-parents-want-proof-experimental-classrooms-work

 I would really appreciate your feedback and valued opinions on which seems the best avenue to take. A bit of a cop out I know but this is doing my pan in!



6 comments:

  1. Hi Toni. You obviously have some strong anecdotal evidence that is shaping your thinking around your literature review questions. My suggestion would be to simplify slightly to broaden the research that may be appropriate. When you talk about the 'expectations' of an MLE I think what you might be trying to get at is the assumed ways of working or the 'best practice' pedagogy appropriate to an MLE..? If so, then perhaps rather than being MLE specific in your research you could select one of these pedagogies. This would broaden your scope of research. For example you might look at the pedagogy of blending learning and online tools. For the second part of your question may i suggest (and this is only a suggestion!) that you flip your question slightly, so it becomes something like;
    "What blended learning innovations support engagement of primary aged boys". This way it is phrasing the question more in the positive and you may find more research has been done in this vein (ie. what is good for Boys). I hope this is helpful.
    (I apologise if this appears twice as my internet cut out have way through the first time)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See! A fresh pair of eyes can make all the difference! I didn't come along this afternoon to coll as I spent a very unfruitful 45 mins trying to engage in the online discussions that are held between 4 - 5 pm. I might have just been better coming to talk to the ashcol possie! How's your research coming along?

      Delete
  2. Hi Toni - Great question! It would be interesting to see the findings of this. My group looked at boys engagement for our literature review so would be interesting to look into. I would think that it would be easy for some boys to slip under the radar quite easily if they are not challenged or fully engaged in their learning. Do MLE's allow for enough differentiation and looking at individual child's strengths? If we look into individual strengths and interests it is a good starting point to engage boys so would be good to think about or look into.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My biggest criticism of a MLE is the fact there aren't enough staff for the number of children. We should have break-out areas for smaller groups of children that are sorted by need and assistance for a particular task or topic. It is totally different to just putting a group of classes together. I have actually given some kids my questionnaire and I think it will show some interesting findings!

      Delete
    2. Hi Toni and Shaye

      Firstly Toni, You have developed a great and interesting question, and Shaye your response connected with me and how my lit review question is looking at how school leadership improves our ako ora (Māori priority students) engagement and achievement in learning by being culturally responsive to their needs.

      What made me start thinking and connecting with the many factors, we as educators need to take into account ... boys and writing, being culturally responsive, keeping up with ILE/MLE pedagogy and development, 21st century skills etc etc

      I think the actual skills we are learning by undertaking The Mind Lab post-grad course, will certainly hold us in good stead for the future of where education takes us. The skills of asking the pertinent questions, to keep us focussed and well-researched educators, instead of going along with a whim and hope for the best it works.

      Before this course, I would have stated, "I am a data driven educator", now I believe, "I am a research driven educator, who is guided by the data and evidence I have."

      Delete
    3. Hi Toni and Shaye

      Firstly Toni, You have developed a great and interesting question, and Shaye your response connected with me and how my lit review question is looking at how school leadership improves our ako ora (Māori priority students) engagement and achievement in learning by being culturally responsive to their needs.

      What made me start thinking and connecting with the many factors, we as educators need to take into account ... boys and writing, being culturally responsive, keeping up with ILE/MLE pedagogy and development, 21st century skills etc etc

      I think the actual skills we are learning by undertaking The Mind Lab post-grad course, will certainly hold us in good stead for the future of where education takes us. The skills of asking the pertinent questions, to keep us focussed and well-researched educators, instead of going along with a whim and hope for the best it works.

      Before this course, I would have stated, "I am a data driven educator", now I believe, "I am a research driven educator, who is guided by the data and evidence I have."

      Delete

leave any comments - polite and helpful ones please and I will get back to you when I can.
Thanks Toni