Friday, 29 June 2018

Does this count as "social media" for kids?

I attended a great CPD session last night at Methven Primary School where we had a good old play with software that allowed us to try out at first hand the sort of things we have been hearing about during our Mindlab studies.

We looked at 'Minelab Educational' and I can see this being a big hit with our year 5/6 students in the Big Space. It is essential to use the 'Educational' site to avoid the problems associated with open sites where you might come across a 30 year old masquerading as a 10 year old...

The possibilities seem endless. My biggest concern is the time it would take me to create anything to get them started. The examples we saw had enormous buildings that the students had built in a matter of minutes. I guess this is their world, their reality and we just need to be able to let go and let the kids 'get on with it'.

I especially think Minecraft would be great in maths as well as the more obvious subjects of D&T, design and art.

Here are a couple of links if you are thinking of bringing this into your classroom

Education Edition  http://education.minecraft.net/

YouCubed  - website https://www.youcubed.org/





No comments:

Post a Comment

leave any comments - polite and helpful ones please and I will get back to you when I can.
Thanks Toni