I wish to use Jay & Johnson's Model to reflect upon my thoughts on using social media in my practice.
Step 1 - Descriptive Stage
Before joining the Mindlab course I considered social media to be something I reserved for my personal life. I was wary of sharing anything that could be read by students and parents and misrepresented in any way.
Currently, I am using social media in various aspects of my professional development. The use of Google+ Communities is one of most valuable aspects of the Mindlab course and being introduced to sites such as TED Talks are a definite 'go to" when I am looking at an area of study.
I have enrolled in an array of online distance learning webinars, often learning alongside teachers from different parts of the world. The discussions that follow are often as interesting and valuable as the webinars themselves. Sites such as Teachers Pay Teachers not only offer learning opportunities but the opportunity to share expertise and peer tested resources which is preferable to buying a resource purely based on an online review.
As a staff team we communicate through "Whatsapp" which keeps our conversations centered upon topics that apply directly to us. Our wider school community uses a staff Google Drive, Dojo and LinkEd to communicate with everyone.
Our team also use Google Classroom to organise our planning and presentations which both students and staff are invited to edit and comment on.
Stage 2 - Comparative Stage
Stage 2 - Comparative Stage
Observing the vast array of social media that my fellow Mindlabbers use, I realise there is a whole lot more to the internet than I am familiar with. I had forgotten to mention the 'day to day' tools which I use such as LinkEd, and Google Classroom as 'others' in the survey, however, I was reassured to see that the most popular tools such as video, YouTube and Wikipedia were ones I already use.
I was fascinated to learn about steps teachers have taken in bringing elements of a child's world into their classrooms. One Canadian teacher remarking that teachers shouldn't expect students to 'power down' when they enter school. Allowing children to share their experiences with online communities has proven to encourage high expectations and an increased care in their work while at the same time reinforcing more traditional skills of writing, spelling, grammar and presentation.
Step 3 - Critical Reflection
Even though I have had a Twitter and Facebook account for years, I would not regard them as tools for teaching or extending my PD. I make the usual complaint that I don't have enough time to spend online and already seem to spend a lot of time on Google +, reading blogs and making comments when I should be 'working'. However, upon reflection, these 'connected teachers' have been a great source of support and inspiration during darker times or when feeling a lack of confidence in my practice. Realising I am 'not alone' and that there is always someone awake somewhere in the world to answer my questions, will now encourage me to use my Twitter account in a different way thus becoming a more adventurous 'connected teacher'.
I was fascinated to learn about steps teachers have taken in bringing elements of a child's world into their classrooms. One Canadian teacher remarking that teachers shouldn't expect students to 'power down' when they enter school. Allowing children to share their experiences with online communities has proven to encourage high expectations and an increased care in their work while at the same time reinforcing more traditional skills of writing, spelling, grammar and presentation.
Step 3 - Critical Reflection
Even though I have had a Twitter and Facebook account for years, I would not regard them as tools for teaching or extending my PD. I make the usual complaint that I don't have enough time to spend online and already seem to spend a lot of time on Google +, reading blogs and making comments when I should be 'working'. However, upon reflection, these 'connected teachers' have been a great source of support and inspiration during darker times or when feeling a lack of confidence in my practice. Realising I am 'not alone' and that there is always someone awake somewhere in the world to answer my questions, will now encourage me to use my Twitter account in a different way thus becoming a more adventurous 'connected teacher'.
We talk about students needing to be 'lifelong learners'. As educators we need to take this on ourselves.
There will always be an argument that technology should not replace face-to-face communication. But engaging the many uses of the internet can enable reluctant learners to have a ‘voice’, for parents to see first hand what their children are creating in school and for the ‘isolated’ teacher to feel camaraderie and support from other ‘connected’ teachers.
REFERENCES:
Cassidy K. (2013) Using Social Media in the Classroom
Source: Tvoparents. (2013, May 21). Using Social Media in the Classroom.[video file].
Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riZStaz8Rno
https://app.themindlab.com/media/32457/view
Jay J.K. & Johnson K.L. (2002) Capturing Complexity: A Typology of Reflective Practice for Teacher Education: Teaching and Teacher Education: Vol 18(1) pp 73-85
Whitaker T., Zoul J. & Casas J. (2015) 'What Connected Educators Do Differently': New York NY: Routledge
There will always be an argument that technology should not replace face-to-face communication. But engaging the many uses of the internet can enable reluctant learners to have a ‘voice’, for parents to see first hand what their children are creating in school and for the ‘isolated’ teacher to feel camaraderie and support from other ‘connected’ teachers.
REFERENCES:
Cassidy K. (2013) Using Social Media in the Classroom
Source: Tvoparents. (2013, May 21). Using Social Media in the Classroom.[video file].
Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riZStaz8Rno
https://app.themindlab.com/media/32457/view
Jay J.K. & Johnson K.L. (2002) Capturing Complexity: A Typology of Reflective Practice for Teacher Education: Teaching and Teacher Education: Vol 18(1) pp 73-85
Whitaker T., Zoul J. & Casas J. (2015) 'What Connected Educators Do Differently': New York NY: Routledge
I really like how reflective you are regarding the usage of social media as PD. I also wrote this topic but I wasnt aware how important it is to set up your twitter profile properly. I kind of just did the minimal amount of set up. This is something I am going to consider to change. I am interested in looking into Teachers pay teachers. What is this about? Can you tell me more?
ReplyDeleteThank you Hanchen. Yes it is important to set up social media sites like blogs, Twitter and FB with a degree of moderation to protect both yourself as a professional, but the students also. It is too easy for a 31 year old male to pretend he is a 10 year old girl on "open" social networks. Just saying....
ReplyDeleteI really liked your Blog. I too thought that social media as something I did at home. It is true too that when you reflect you actually see how much social media you use to underpin your own PLD. I have also used TED talks and Teachers pay teachers. I am currently doing a couple of online courses I wonder if the count?? I will have to look into this further.
ReplyDeleteIf you print out the certificate for the courses they suggest showing them to your Principal and logging it as PD. I enjoyed the one relating to guided reading and behaviour management run through Creative Classrooms vie Teachers pay Teachers.
DeleteThank you for your kind comments relating to my blog :-)
Hi there, I really enjoyed reading you blog today as I can relate to many of your comments. I never viewed Facebook as a tool that I could use in my classroom. I don't have a Twitter account but will look at this after reading your blog. I always viewed these as forums to use in my personal life to connect with friends and family.
ReplyDeleteI am also interested in the Whatsapp as I think that this would also be a worthwhile tool for our staff to look at. I will google it and see what information is available.
Like you I also believed that I didn't have enough time to be online but my practice has changed and benefited a lot since starting Mind Lab and starting my blogging journey which I had never done before. Such a learning curve! Thanks!
Wow! High praise indeed! If you knew how hard I find keeping these blogs to 600 words! I spent way too much time this morning looking at comments and videos tweeted by other teachers. I need to be more disciplined to not waste time on my days off!
DeleteHi Toni, thanks for the interesting blog. I have been really reticent about using social media in my private life. I still don’t have Facebook but realise that if you don’t you tend to miss out on things, as this is used as a forum for posting information. Interestingly the young ones in my house said a lot of people see Facebook as a way to keep in contact with relatives, but don’t use it with their friends. They prefer to use Instagram for connecting with friends and following what they are doing in their lives. Facebook messenger is also used and is popular, but Facebook itself isn’t as popular with them as it once was. Instagram and Facebook messenger tells you when people are on line so then you can have a conversation with them. At university one of my daughters said that Blackboard is used by their professors.
ReplyDeleteI do use twitter (thanks to Mindlab) and follow Mindlab, TED–ed, edutopia etc, but like you, haven’t considered using it in my teaching. However, baby steps and a positive mind growth will get me there if I see the need.
Since Mindlab I have become a lot more involved with Google Communities and Google Classrooms, both of which have been so useful this year for using with all of my classes and for my own learning. I have also used TED Talks; it has useful resources on it for senior students. Our school uses a lot of google applications. It will be interesting to see what happens in the near future!
Thanks Sue for your comments regarding social media. I haven't used Twitter for my teaching yet either but I am seeing great posts from felow teachers and am following them from across the globe. Looks like the same old problems rear their ugly heads everywhere and like many people say "children are just children the world over". Good luck with the rest of your assignments Sue x
Delete