Having only lived in New Zealand for 16 months, I have seen only a 'snapshot' of the NZ education system. However, as an immigrant I am quite surprised how little attention is paid to the indigenous population in our schools.
While teaching in Canada in the 1990's I was intrigued to find half of my school devoted to French Immersion teaching. Even if the children reverted to English in the school yard, they communicated totally in French. There was, however, no mention of the indigenous language of the Inuit or the many aboriginal tribes that populated the country before European settlers arrived on their shores.
My University Social Studies lecturer in the UK was Sikh and coined the phrase 'The Sari, Samosa and Steel-Band Syndrome'. (The 3 S's) All too often, educators look at the fun, arty or easy aspects of differences in culture; the bits that can be delivered with the minimum of fuss and controversy. There is limited attention given to cultural characteristics when learning about different beliefs and ideologies.
Culturally responsive pedagogy has been defined by Gay (2001) as " using the cultural characteristics, experiences and perspectives as conduits for effective teaching". This is displayed as:
- Knowledge about cultural diversity
- Culturally integrated content in the curriculum
- Development of learning in the community
- An ability to communicate with culturally diverse students
- Employ culturally responsive delivery of instruction.
Bishop (2012) has discussed the notion of 'deficit thinking' - an historical term - created by teaching Maori students who are unable to understand a European system of education. A teacher who adopts a culturally responsive pedagogy will challenge this assumption; will employ skills and knowledge to enable all their students to achieve their personal goals.
More has to be done than simply having 'culture weeks' and looking at occasions that 'fit neatly' into a school's curriculum. Ann Milne (2017) has argued that teachers and the school community should be immersed in students' cultural identity at every opportunity, at all times from policy implementation through to daily learning activities. Schools should be responsible for sustaining culture, encouraging all members of the community to embrace the 21st century era of connectedness and encourage students to develop as global citizens.
As for my school, there is still a great deal that could be improved upon in terms of cultural responsiveness.
School- wide activities include weekly Maori tuition. All classes follow a set programme as delivered by our Maori tutor. (A European New Zealand teacher) There is a weekly Kapahaka club. A Karakia is said at the start of each day. Some teachers use occasional Maori expressions according to their knowledge or understanding and to get the attention in our teaching area, the teachers count to 4 to get the children to respond in Maori. Throughout the year there are specific language weeks where optional activities are suggested but not generally delivered in classes. The ESOL team might hold a food event during lunchtime where community members and parents can share a meal and socialise with the staff team.
Learning Activities - I would suggest that when activities are planned for students, a range of indigenous texts are included where Maori and other overseas students can act as leaders in the activity. I am conscious of our Maori and ESOL students struggling with English texts. It would be beneficial for them to be given the opportunity to lead an activity rather than struggling with a language they are less familiar with. This could in turn lead to an increased confidence when tackling an English text in class or during ESOL support sessions.
| Milne's Cultural Continuum (2017) |
I consider our school sits in the purple/middle area of the continuum. The curriculum is most definitely colonial as our programmes are determined by the International Baccalaureate which is a European system. We should be ambitious enough to introduce a self-styled humanities element that looks at indigenous history and social status. Unfortunately this is still something that is quite uncomfortable for most teachers to deliver, with regards to the Treaty of Waitangi, that should be at the heart of all learning. There should also be provision for teachers to be trained in the delivery of such material. If teachers are not confident when teaching NZ social history - and I am a perfect example of this - then we are still going to be left with the 3 S's and tokenism rather than a rich and inclusive curriculum.
References:
Bishop, R., Berryman, M., Cavanagh, T. & Teddy, L. (2009).Te Kotahitanga: Addressing educational disparities facing Māori students in New Zealand. Teaching and Teacher Education, 25(5),734–742.
Gay,G. (2002). Preparing for culturally responsive teaching. Journal of Teacher Education, 53(2),106-116.
Milne, B.A. (2013). Colouring in the white spaces: Reclaiming cultural identity in whitestream schools. (Doctoral Thesis, University of Waikato, Hamilton, New Zealand). Retrieved from http://hdl.handle.net/10289/7868
References:
Bishop, R., Berryman, M., Cavanagh, T. & Teddy, L. (2009).Te Kotahitanga: Addressing educational disparities facing Māori students in New Zealand. Teaching and Teacher Education, 25(5),734–742.
Gay,G. (2002). Preparing for culturally responsive teaching. Journal of Teacher Education, 53(2),106-116.
Milne, B.A. (2013). Colouring in the white spaces: Reclaiming cultural identity in whitestream schools. (Doctoral Thesis, University of Waikato, Hamilton, New Zealand). Retrieved from http://hdl.handle.net/10289/7868
Hi Toni. The three S's is a great expression. I enjoyed reading your experience of Canada as I remember, when doing some previous study, finding out that Canada's 'treaty' was between the French and the English and the indigenous peoples didn't get a look in at all. Much of what you have said can be applied to my school and context also. I think the Treaty and it's intentions need to be held in much higher regard in our New Zealand psyche. It is a unique and special founding document that should be respected. I think your experiences and impressions as a new New Zealander are really important Toni. I think we (born here kiwis) have a lot to learn about appreciating our special cultural and social history as a nation.
ReplyDeleteI am optimistic about the future though!Kia Kaha, Kia Maia, Kia Manawanui- Be strong, be steadfast, be willing (Go teachers!!!)
All the best Toni!
I was initially reluctant to make such comments in my blog, but I do feel a lot more has to be done with regard to teaching the history of NZ as a basis for our current pedagogy - if nothing else, but to inform newcomers like myself about the country and the rich culture I am now surrounded by. Hopefully the Treaty will become more noticeable in our future studies.
DeleteAll the best and keep in touch long after the course is done and dusted.
Tena koe Toni. This was an interesting read for me, with your lens of a teacher from another country who has experience in other international education systems. I am Māori and have lived and continue to experience the inequalities of NZs education system. Through the sheer determination and love of my hard working mother I learnt how to play the game and became a teacher, a principal and accredited PLD facilitator. I like how you point out the challenges that teachers have to talk about NZ social history. Education is a powerful tool and I believe and wonder if you would agree that the pedagogy of oppression is still in play where our own history is not mandatory in our school curriculum? The positives for us all is that the conversations are starting to be had. Thank you for sharing. Nga mihi
ReplyDeleteAs I said in my reply to Claire, I wasn't sure what kind of reception I might receive to this post. We are after all exploring theories as teachers and I have to say after a short time here, I was expecting to learn more about the history of our indigenous peoples rather than following a typical European curriculum. I hope the new government with the guidance of the First party will allow these conversations to be had and changes to be made. Thank you for your thoughtful comments.
DeleteHi witchypoo,
ReplyDeleteSo refreshing to read your blog. Its very interesting hearing how half of your school in Canada devoted their curriculum to French. That's wonderful. The sad thing here in New Zealand is that the Maori population is a dying breed. They are a minority in their own country with very little voice. I say this because I am one. I teach at a school where whenever the haka is performed, the students are mocking it. They don't perform it properly and butcher it in the end. This has been raised to management, but it has also been put in the too hard basket. Students have protested doing the haka instead singing their own cultural songs. By rights YES they deserve being heard too, but not at the detriment of a dying culture.
Corlene, thank you for my comment and I can only say how sorry I am that the Maori culture is being ridiculed and not taken seriously. This is my point about the 3Ss. If cultural education cannot be addressed without careful thought and sensitivity, surely it is better to leave it out rather than pay minimal lip-service which in turn can be very damaging to the self esteem of different cultures.
ReplyDeleteIt was quite interesting to read your experience in Canada and how the students were taught the French language and only reverted to English when in the playground. It would be great to see that happening here in New Zealand, but before when can get to that point we as teachers need to make sure that we push our Indigenous language and be the ones to learn and teach it rather than have it specialized in school with only one teacher teaching the lesson in the school.
ReplyDeleteThank you for your post comments. I agree totally with you about needing to pushing indigenous language. It seems odd we look at Maori learners as 'a priority' but don't really push the language as a priority. I cannot really comment about the use of 'specialised or expert teachers' as I need this support as a UK teacher to make head or tails of Maori. I hope my immersion will pay off over time.
ReplyDelete