Activity 8 - Faces of Change - My Reflection on 32 Weeks of Study
Key Change in My Practice
So much has changed during my 32 week Mindlab journey.
As a recent immigrant, I had progressed from full-time teacher, to relief teacher, to part-time teacher. Everything is about to change as I again become a full-time teacher, in our modern learning environment at my school.
In the beginning, I just wanted to introduce more appropriate technology into my classroom
http://facesofchange.themindlab.com/#/grid/user-story/97
I thought the course was going to be more about exploring the 'new' digital curriculum and making fun and exciting projects for the students. Although there was an element of this, what has emerged is an opportunity to examine and challenge my practice as a teacher. Despite having taught in the UK for more years than I care to remember, it has been quite a steep learning curve engaging in a new curriculum and quite different pedagogy.
At times, the act of reflection has been very challenging. It is all too easy to look at the 'problem' rather than examining why there is a problem in the first place. So, by reflecting on the what? so what? and now what? of Rolfe et al (2001) theory and considering the reflective cycle of Osterman and Kottkamp (1993) I am in a position to consider the next steps of my journey and how I can best support my students.
The What? The Teaching Standard I have opted for is Teaching :-
- Teach and respond to learners in a knowledgeable and adaptive way to progress their learning at an appropriate depth and pace.
As a colleague has managed this class for practically the whole of three terms, it is going to be a challenge to fit into her shoes, so - I'm not going to try to.
I have a heap of strategies and approaches to help them engage with a new teacher's style as well as a different accent. I am going to come at things with the eyes of an actor who is having to critically evaluate her craft. Together with ample data on each child and the programmes explained for my additional needs students, I am confident of forming a relationship with the class based on their needs.
We have camp in week 9 which is the best opportunity to get to know students in a different environment to the classroom.
So What? During the holidays I will have time to reflect upon what went well and what needed attention. Awareness is key to behavioral change and I will take a critical look at my 'performance' - to help understand and evaluate my practice.
| The Reflective Cycle of Osterman and Kottkamp (1993) |
Disseminating the knowledge and experience of the colleagues on our team will also help me to move forward. I am not teaching in isolation and much can be learnt from discussions and feedback. Kolb (1984) proposed that learning is a dialectic and cyclical process with 4 stages - experience: observation and reflection: abstract conceptualisation and experimentation.
I don't expect to get everything right, but regarding this as a learning situation for me as much of my students, an honest relationship should offer firm foundations for the final term.
Now What?
Experience is the basis for learning and learning cannot take place without reflection. Although reflection is an important part of the process, reflection must be linked to action. Reflective practice which encompasses theory, practice, thought and action is as Schon (1987) described as " a dialogue of thinking and doing through which I become more skillful".
As for the future? I am starting the next year in the Big Space. I will be setting the scene for my classroom and beginning with a new set of challenges and individuals. I am looking towards addressing my second Teacher Standard, Learning Focused Culture :-
- Develop a culture that is focused on learning, and is characterised by respect, inclusion, empathy, collaboration and safety.
The Mindlab course has provided opportunity to question both my own practice and that of our Education System . I am more aware of the importance of an inclusive setting, not just offering help to our additional needs students or non-English speakers, but to create a community that acknowledges difference and challenges the status quo of the European culture which is still at the heart of education in New Zealand.
As I said previously, I don't expect to create a perfect learning environment overnight, but I am willing to address aspects of my practice which need to be reviewed, both in terms meeting the needs of 21st century learners but also embracing the rich culture and experiences of our New Zealand heritage. It really will be a case of 'watch this space'.
References:-
Ministry of Education (2017). Our code, our standards. Retrieved from
https://educationcouncil.org.nz/content/our-code-our-standards
Osterman, K. & Kottkamp, R.(1993). Reflective Practice for Educators. California. Cornwin Press, Inc. Retrieved on 7th May, 2015 from http://www.itslifejimbutnotasweknowit.org.uk/files.
Great final reflection Toni. It has been quite an adventure discovering how to make reflections that address a whole problem. I have found that now I look at learning and my teaching from a whole different point of view - I am more critical and feel the students benefit from this reflective style. I agree step back and be yourself as a teacher - you have many skills to offer and children are actually quite resilient and adaptable. All the best with your camp.
ReplyDeleteThanks Donna! It was such a relief to press that final 'submit' button but also a bit of an anti-climax - no bells and whistles were set off!!
DeleteThanks for your kind comments. Yes I do have a whole load of tools in my toolbox, I just need to have the confidence to use them in my new country. As you say kids are resilient which is just as well considering the shit we put them and us through! This is the same the world over and they still seem to bounce back. It will be a whole new adventure I'm embarking on now and not just the camp!
All the very best with your teaching. If you keep the blog posts up I will look forward to hearing your views.
Hi Tony I thought this was an honest last reflection about your experience with Mindlab. Reflecting on ones practice is an important part of our profession and an important tool to be able to us to become a more effective teacher.
ReplyDeleteI really like the importance that you put on developing relationships with your learners. Camp is an excellent way to do this and often those hard to relate children in the classroom are the ones who do really well on camps. All the best and Well done on completing Mindlab
Thank you for your welcome comments Simon. I hope the camp time will allow me to develop relationships with my class, especially those who often hang back and don't interact so much with all the goings on in our busy day. Congratulations to you too. It's a case of watch this space post camp when I'm on my knees from lack of sleep and too much fresh air! It's been some time since my last camp experience...!
ReplyDelete